Victory! I made it all the way through Me Made May 2014! I have only one more garment to show you, then some reflections.
Striped sundress, self drafted, blogged here. It doesn’t come out much because the shoulders are too wide and like to slide off.
There was one other me-made garment that didn’t get photographed – a purple quilter’s cotton wrap skirt. I don’t wear it out much because well… it’s a quilter’s cotton wrap skirt. Nothing fancy. I also paired my white woven tee (May 3rd) with a couple different purchased skirts which didn’t get photographed. Pretty much everything else was repeats from earlier in the month. May 1-5; May 6-12; May 13-21. I think I took a total of 5 cheat days – less than I’d allowed myself! Next year I’ll aim for something me-made every day of the month.
I successfully wore every me-made item in my closet at least once during the month. Some only got one wear; some were worn sooo much! The pink Liesl + Co tee was worn on at least 8 separate days – it’s the clear winner for MMM2014. This is probably my favorite styling of it:
Things I learned because of MMM2014:
- While I love to sew garments, I don’t like my outfits to look homemade.
- I’ve sewn a lot with quilter’s cotton, and those garments were each only worn once. I hate quilter’s cotton – probably because it looks homemade.
- I wear lots of knit; this means I need to sew more knit.
- My life is pretty casual. I need more separates – especially tops.
- A little denim jacket and a wide belt can pull nearly any outfit together.
- My favorite outfits balance softness and structure. I can’t do head- to- toe floaty or knit.
Which all lead to a resolution:
- Be braver about apparel fabric!
It’s time to learn the different weights and blends of knit fabric. I also want to explore the world of woven apparel fabric – lawn, gauze, shirting, poplin… so many choices. I bought myself a couple patterns during Memorial Day sales and got new fabric in the mail on Friday. It’s time to build the wardrobe I’ll actually WANT to wear, not random garments on a whim that then sit in the closet forever.
I’m grateful for this challenge! It definitely helped my sewing for myself thought process!
You can see how everyone else wrapped up in the Flikr group.